Become a Volunteer!
PRAAT trains and certifies each of our dogs to ensure the safety of everyone involved.
Who can participate? Adults 18 yrs or older and young adults ages 11-17 when accompanied by an adult. Students can apply their visits towards community service. Although we appreciate all dog breeds, we currently do not allow the breeds that are listed by the insurance industry as “dangerous” to participate in our program. Please check the current insurance dangerous dog list for the up-to-date information regarding this or contact us directly.
How do I try out? The first step is to have your dog screened at no cost. We have screenings at least once a month. Call 631-207-9325 to make an appointment.
- Dogs are screened for health, temperament and disposition.
- Minimal Background Checks are completed for all handlers over 18 yrs old.
- Health Maintenance required: *Annual Physical Exam *Rabies Vaccine *Distemper/Parvo Vaccine or Titre *Kennel Cough (Bordetella Bronchiseptica) *Heartworm Test (after 1 yr old) *Intestinal Parasite (Fecal) Exam *Prevention (Heartworm, Flea, Tick etc.) Canine health maintenance must be administered by a NYS Licensed Veterinarian in a practice of your choice and made available to PRAAT.
- Handler and canine attend a basic obedience course, with an emphasis on animal assisted therapy.
- Final evaluation is held at a participating facility.
- Our PRAAT staff will begin to help you schedule your and coordinate your volunteer visitations.
PRAAT ID Badges, PRAAT shirts for the handlers and PRAAT vests for the canines are required to be worn for the duration of the visit. All canines must be groomed (clean and bushed) before the visit.
Can I get involved without a dog? Yes. As we continue to grow, we are finding many ways in which people can help outside of volunteering for PRAAT visits. This includes:
- Social Media
- Making a monetary donation to sponsor K9 Team visits. We are a registered 501(c)(3) not for profit organization